Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Story of Catherine's Research Paper

At first, I couldn't decide between comparing the Spanish translation of Richard III to the English version, or writing about Richard's deformity in the context of Medieval thought. I finally realized I was just more interested in the latter. Writing about something I was interested in exploring made the work much easier. I found some interesting things about the source Shakespeare used, and discovered it was actually an erroneous source. I also found a very probing tidbit about how Medieval people viewed disabilities. That really sparked my exploration of Richard's motivations behind being the villain. I was able to see a local performance of Richard III and send a message to the main actor, who shared a lot of my views and gave some insights into his character. At first I attempted to stress Shakespeare's intention behind crafting his villain, but after a conference with Dr. Burton I decided to cut a lot of those passages out. My thesis changed to include more of his historical misrepresentation and how society's view of Richard changed his self perception. My social process throughout writing my paper was successful overall, but I definitely hit some snags. I tried e-mailing the director of a production of Richard III in Cedar City, but never heard back. I was thrilled, however, when I was able to connect with a blogger who published a post that overlapped directly with my topic. I am pleased with the way my paper developed and the social input I obtained. I have submitted it to the literary journal Intersections.


And here is my video!






No comments:

Post a Comment