Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Story of Sarah M's Research Paper

The process of writing my research paper began, of course, with choosing a topic.  I thought the historical context of Twelfth Night and its irresolution was interesting, but I could not come up with a meaningful thesis about it.  I’m going to be an English teacher, so I decided to base my research on why Twelfth Night is a good play for middle school students to study. As I began posting my ideas on sites for our class and on my social network others helped me develop my ideas further and see the benefits Twelfth Night offers for those being bullied (see Possibilities and Twelfth Night Draft and Tweethis Comments). From there I researched how others have used Shakespeare to address bullying and I found many examples on blogs and in newspapers.   I also found ways to incorporate my earlier ideas of irresolution into my paper.  I did traditional research in the library and on databases on this subject and learned a lot about Shakespeare’s culture and what others scholars have said about his works. After writing my paper I researched places where I could submit my ideas and I found some student journals from various Universities that accept English research papers (see Publishing and Researching). I may follow the example of another student in this class and find a professor that can co-author this paper with me, so that I can submit my ideas to a teaching-oriented journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment