Saturday, December 1, 2012

Love's Labour's Lost: Live from Shakespeare's Globe

I love that the library has the "Films on Demand" resource available to us! I also am glad that the Globe makes these recordings available. I now have a very strong desire to visit the Globe. It was so fun to see the theater in person instead of just described. I loved all the interaction between the actors and the audience. I knew that there would be some interaction because of what I had already heard, but I underestimated the extent. I loved the deer especially. When the deer was shot and the actor carrying the puppet made it fall down, it was funny to watch the reactions of the audience members who were close by. The actors were constantly running in and out among the audience members and it was fun to watch.

I also loved the arrangement of the stage. It is a very unusual shape and at one point there were two actors who were standing on either side of the little gap talking to each other. It was so funny to watch the audience members go back and forth watching. I think that if I ever go to the Globe I would rather be on the ground than in a box. I think the experience would be much more rich.

This play is hilarious. The actors do a great job at sticking to the original language, but also keeping the performance current. Their movements/dances were current (as Jessica mentioned in her post) and their use of the stage was so entertaining! The stage had very little on it, and so it was left to the performers to create the environment and feeling. They did a great job and had great movement on the stage. Their movements were very large and expressive, something that you have to do on a stage like that (and in a venue like that). I also really loved the different accents of the performers. I was expecting everyone to sound British. :)

I think watching this play gave me a better appreciation for the play than I would have gained just reading it. I will definitely be using this website to watch more Shakespeare films in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment