Friday, December 14, 2012

The Story of My Research Paper: Brinn

Well, when I first read Measure for Measure, I was a little confused by some of the rationalizations/conflicts between justice and mercy, and how quick some of the most pious characters were to excuse sexual liberality in others. Even Isabella, a main character who wants to become a nun, is seduced by a man to free her brother and decides to another woman (this man's former fiancee) out for herself in the nighttime rendezvous. This "bed trick" is suggested to her by a man who is supposedly a friar, and both of them seem to think it's perfectly morally fine. I was so confused by this that I decided I didn't like the play at all and wished I had chosen a different one. But as I began my research online and in the reference section of the library (great resource!), I discovered a couple of articles that explained some of the different Medieval and Renaissance marriage practices and perceptions that were very different from modern views on what constitutes a 'valid' legal marriage. I posted a couple of my ideas/questions for my "tweethis" on Facebook, and joined Goodreads so that I could post there too. I initially posted my tweethis on Goodreads, but didn't get much response, so later I went back and posted again, this time with a more general question about information on Measure for Measure and Elizabethan marriage customs. In response to this post, a man from the UK suggested a history book that luckily happened to be available in the BYU library, so I was able to turn there as a research guidepost as well. Also, my grandfather replied to my Facebook message with some helpful suggestions about historical movements to research, which led me to learn more about the influence of the Puritans in government during the Elizabethan era and really helped me make sense of the play and direct my paper. The feedback from classmates on the blog and in class during the writing process was very helpful as well.

In choosing an audience, I think I was most interested in communicating my research to anyone (probably mostly other students like me) who reads Measure for Measure and would like some contextual information to better understand and appreciate the play. Without understanding the context, Measure for Measure is easy to misinterpret from a modern perspective, so my goal with the paper was to provide clear information that would help guide another student through the process of contextualizing the play. I know that once the context became clear for me, I really began to enjoy the play!

No comments:

Post a Comment