Monday, December 3, 2012

Macbeth: Shakespeare for the Modern Age

If you are in the mood to watch Macbeth, I would not recommend this particular film. True, this film tells a good story (I credit that to Shakespeare), but the filming, acting, and all other artistic skills used in movie-making are absent in this performance.

The one thing this movie did do was get stuck in my head. I started seeing Macbeth everywhere I went. Here is my favorite experience:

I was reading Ether 8 where the son wants to kill his father and become king. A prominent female member of his family  helps him. Secret combinations are formed, everyone betrays everyone, and pretty much all of them end up dead. Tale as old as time. Who would have thought I'd find Shakespeare in the Book of Mormon.

I guess my next step is to watch another Shakespeare play and see what references I can find to it as I go about my life. Good luck to the rest of you.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha, that's a funny connection. I had no idea Shakespeare was a Mormon! Thanks for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am coming up on Ether 8 in my personal studies. I'm not sure if you ruined it for me, or made it cooler. This is pretty interesting to me, though, because these two stories are so similar we would normally say one or the other 'stole' the idea. But we know Shakespeare never read the BoM, and the BoM is not a story anyone just made up, so it makes me consider that some of the things we say are 'taken' from something else really might not be.

    ReplyDelete