Monday, December 3, 2012

A little more on The Globe's 'As You Like It'

Oh hey, it looks like a lot of people decided to watch As You Like It performed at The Globe, including myself. :) The Films on Demand site is currently giving me some grief, so I've only watched about half of the play so far... and I may be a little bitter about it, because I LOVE this production. Sometimes I say, with good intentions, that I'll go back and finish something--this is actually something that I absolutely will go back and finish. I'm really excited to finish watching this play.

I liked what Catherine had to say about this performance being a hybrid of movie and theater. Obviously, we aren't there in the audience deciding what we want to look at. The camera makes the decision for us, but that was part of the production that I really enjoyed. I thought the camera had such great comedic timing... it really emphasized the right things at the right time.



Catherine and Jessica also mentioned the actors being involved with the audience (I also kept thinking Grassroots Shakespeare throughout the performance), which made the play a lot more enjoyable--and I think based on the things we've discussed in class, a lot more authentic. The play became more fun and familiar as the characters spoke directly to the audience, ran around in the audience, etc. I was also particularly impressed with the casting of this production. It seemed as though each character was interpreted and acted perfectly by those in the cast. For me, that really makes all the difference in performance, and this play didn't let me down.

Overall, this was a production that I really enjoyed, even to the point that I'd like to watch some more Globe performances after the semester ends. I also hope to implement performances like these into my high school teaching--I think if students could see Shakespeare like this, they could really get into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment