Friday, October 9, 2015

Spit, fire! spout, rain!



Lear is angry.

He's not just mad; his emotions consistently manifest in rages that fixate on the most convenient target, be it a daughter or loyal subject. I was particularly captivated by Lear's anger being manifested and further fueled while he's out in the storm with the Fool. In fact, Kent and the Gentleman set up the tone for Lear for all of act three during the first scene.

Kent
Where's the King?
Gentleman
Contending with the fretful elements;
Bids the wind blow the earth into the sea,
Or swell the curled waters 'bove the main,
That things might change, or cease; tears his white hair,
Which the impetuous blases with eyeless rage
Catch in their fury and make nothing of,
Strives in his little world of man to outscorn
The to and fro conflicting wind and rain;
This night wherein the cub-drawn bear would couch,
The lion and the belly-pinched wold
Keep their fur dry, unbonneted he runs,
And bids what will take all.
Lear is taunting the destructive force of a storm that exceeds any in living memory. When cautioned against his exposure to it, Lear argues that it's a storm of justice and he's "a man more sinned against than sinning." Again, when Kent tries to convince Lear that staying outdoors is too dangerous, Lear declares to "let me alone." Lear battles his own anger as he refuses to seek the peace of shelter. The "wrathful" storm is an outlet for Lear's emotional pain of losing three daughters, a kingdom, and possibly his mind.

Lear
This tempest in my mind
Doth from my senses take all feeling else,
Save what beats there...
I can't help but relate. Anger is numbing and powerful and makes you feel as if you could retain some control despite all evidence to the contrary. Lear dies from heartbreak and grief in the end. The pain of reality doesn't need to be felt in the moment all of the time. The only way to survive sometimes is to shut out everything you don't need and cling to what is necessary. Something has to remain to motivate action. It's almost as if Lear as a man dies in the storm and only endures to ensure a righting of his kingdom.

(In a very abrupt shift of tone, I found King Lear Limericks.)

2 comments:

  1. I think that Lear as a man only dies in the storm in the sense that he lets go of his anger. It seems to me that he becomes more human after the storm. Even though he lost his senses, he became much more aware of himself and his own flaws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you mentioned at the beginning of your article how Lear's emotions usually are taken out by the nearest target. That is so true! I think this makes his anger seem a little more humane, yet childish. Just thinking back to my family when I was younger, if I was mad at mom, I was also mad at my siblings and everyone. Even though most of the people around me didn't do anything wrong, I would find a reason to be mad at them just because I was mad. So this makes Lear seem more childish, yet also like his anger and attitude more of a level that all of us can somewhat connect with instead of thinking his anger is so crazy and blown out of proportion.

    ReplyDelete