Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Ideas

So I'm still trying to refine my idea for my paper, but I know that it is going to involve kingship - the moral ground that does or does not belong to royalty, the historical context of Shakespeare's plays, the characteristics that he seems to consider important for a king. I think what interests me the most out of that list, though, is the idea of a king's moral high ground, and discussing whether or not that should be so. This was something that I had on my mind the whole time reading Henry V. As a young boy he was a rascal and irresponsible, but one the crown is on his head he starts to act differently, he even refuses to show mercy to some of his previous friends when they transgress the law, showing where his priorities now lie... which I admire his dedication to the law, but someone who can change colors so easily (and Henry does this multiple times in the play) is worrisome... So it just makes me wonder if Shakespeare is trying to portray this as a good thing or not, whether he believes the moral standards are higher for a king or not, etc. Basically, like I said, this topic needs a little fine-tuning, but I am just excited for it! Also, even better, the St. Crispin's Day speech that I've decided to memorize goes right with this! :)

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a very interesting idea and Henry V was a perfect play to provide a head start with this idea! Henry's soliloquy that he makes in act IV scene I about ceremony and the difference between a king and a commoner goes along perfectly with this study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be interested to see how you choose to define "moral ground" in your paper. Morality is usually tied to religion, and God chooses who will be king next. When divinity gets tied to kingship, I feel like the "moral ground" a king must take is all the more relevant because the king acts for God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like you are going to get a lot from this by looking at the historical context as well because we have lots of kings in the past who seem to have no morals at all and then kings who do so it may be that Shakespeare is critiquing how kings have acted historically or he is basing their characters in his plays on how he believes they should or shouldn't act and making a statement about that. This is going to be a fun research paper I think.

    ReplyDelete