Sunday, October 18, 2015

Themes and Plays

Honestly, it's been pretty tough to figure out which themes I want to expand on. There are so many! I liked talking about jealousy, and about the written asides in King Lear. And I also think that within those there are still so many different things I can talk about.

I suppose though that one of the themes I explored that I think I can expand on quite a bit would be the idea of the setting changing the behavior of the individuals. This was a big part of Midsummer, and I think that it played a role in most of what we've read. In Lear, being in the woods and in the storm brought about this madness. In The Winter's Tale, being outside of the palace and in the woods made a light and festive experience for the audience. Etc. I'd like to see how this plays out in other texts.

Another theme I think that I could look into would be the representation of darker and more carnal selfs throughout the works. Again, a big player in Midsummer, but possibly in other plays as well.

I think as for reading, I'd like to try The Taming of the Shrew, or Love's Labour's Lost. And maybe Julius Caesar. I've never read any of those and would like to finally experience them.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that discussing settings and their influence would be interesting. That'd be a paper I'd want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Setting would be neat-- and you could bring in your experience in Midsummer's with the New York setting! The darker/carnal selves paper could be neat as well, but the setting idea is something that jumps out at me. Would you compare settings in movies (i.e. Kenneth Branagh's Much Ado vs. Joss Whedon's)? Or would you stick to the role settings play in the scripts?

    ReplyDelete