Sunday, October 18, 2015

Possible Themes

I have really enjoyed all of the plays we have read by Shakespeare so far, so picking even just a few themes that I found interesting has been hard... But there have been a few that stuck out:

For one thing, I really found it fascinating learning about political events of Shakespeare's own time and how his plays act as commentary on that in many ways. I think examining a play with that in mind could be neat.

I also liked how often Christian themes (redemption, etc.) and figures came up in his plays. I don't know how much is known about Shakespeare's religious views, but I think examining Christianity's influence on his works would be a good topic.

Plays I would like to read that I haven't yet:
Henry V
Julius Caesar
Antony and Cleopatra
(And I am open to other suggestions :))


3 comments:

  1. I always find it interesting how the history around a story or play has influenced the work. It's even better when the work has commentary of the historical events. I think delving into the historical and political aspect of the plays would make for a n interesting paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The historical background would be so cool! Just being able to understand the circumstances that influenced him to rewrite old political stories-- and connecting those old stories to the current politics of the day-- would help you understand the themes of those plays more fully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know Professor Talbot will want you to read Antony and Cleopatra! haha

    ReplyDelete