Saturday, October 24, 2015

A Few Othello Quotes

"I kissed thee ere I killed thee.  No way but this, Killing myself, to die upon a kiss."  (Act V Scene II lines 420-421).  This is a famous line from when Othello is about to kill himself.  It leads to the idea that if he never would have loved Desdemona, he never would have killed her. And he had kissed her right before he killed her, so he kisses himself before he kills himself. It sort of alludes to Christ being betrayed by a kiss before He dies.

"I am not sorry neither.  I'd have thee live, For in my sense 'tis happiness to die."  (Act V Scene II lines 340-341)  I thought this was interesting because it goes along with what I've posted before but with King Lear with the idea that maybe death is considered a merciful ending.

"O, devil, devil! If that the Earth could teem with woman's tears, Each drop she falls would prove a crocodile.  Out of my sight!" (Act IV Scene I lines 273-276)  When I read this line it made me laugh because I'm sure we've all seen Tarzan where Jane tricks the baby baboon and then she says, "Don't give me those crocodile tears."  Maybe this is where that saying comes from?

And here is the famous jealousy line that Professor Burton said in class on Wednesday.  "O beware, my lord, of Jealousy! It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock The meat it feeds on.  That cuckold lives in bliss Who, certain of his fate, loves not his wronger; But O, what damned minutes tells he o'er Who dotes, yet doubts; suspects, yet strongly loves!" (Act III Scene III lines 195-200)


3 comments:

  1. That kiss quote has a tragic parallelism to Romeo and Juliet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, isn't it weird how Shakespeare uses similar lines and the plot from Romeo and Juliet so frequently in several of his plays? Sometimes it doesn't feel like such a surprise anymore when the two lovers die in the end in the name of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the jealousy quote is interesting because it's spoken by Iago while he's secretly convincing Othello that his wife's cheating on him. Like Edmund in King Lear and Paulina in the Winter's Tale he makes Othello jealous by warning him against it.

    ReplyDelete