Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Music in Shakespeare

My thesis is still being developed but I have a lot more resources to draw on now. The idea that I have is to focus on how music is used in Shakespeare, and a short browsing of papers and theater reviews using the libraries Shakespeare guide revealed a wealth of information on the subject,
I also decided to call my sister, who graduated with a Piano major, to talk about focusing on Shakespeare's music. She got excited and talked about the Renaissance and how there was a distinct social duality in music during that period. The courts had their own forms, mostly dance music, and the lower classes had their own, ballads and folk songs. She emailed me several websites with more information on the subject and I learned that Shakespeare has over five hundred references to music in his plays!
Henry V had a couple of references to music, but I did not find much to work with. Rather, I think I will begin exploring Twelfth Night, partly because I know it contains both references and lyrics. In viewing some of the websites my sister I felt my thesis narrowing a little. They reported that at the time of Shakespeare music and drama had not yet begun to draw apart into separate arts. They were very closely related. As such, musicians played for most Elizabethan plays and Elizabethan theater goers could recognize different instruments with different emotions and effects. This music that was played functioned as a sort of soundtrack that would enhance the drama going on onstage.
My thesis will probably focus on how music was viewed in that time and what would be the most equivalent musical adaptation of that effect in a modern Shakespeare adaptation. I want to study different productions of Shakespeare's plays and see which most effectively mirror the qualities of music in the Elizabethan era, but which are modernized for our more modern views on music. If you guys find any cool music quotes in your plays, be sure to send them my way! Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, there is a lot of information on music! All of these things are very interesting, but I would be interested to learn what your plan is for your paper. Will your paper just be informational, or do you have some sort of thesis you're going to present. Just wondering! It is a really interesting topic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really awesome! I would definitely love to read your paper, it sounds like it will be really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic! I had no idea that there was so much historical background on simply the use of music in the plays. And it's cool that the tradition of music hasn't actually changed that much

    ReplyDelete