Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Villains by Necessity

I love Edmund's monologue in Act 1 Scene 2 where he talks about how humans find excuses for their actions in greater forces or destiny. If we're in a bad situation, it must be because of the stars we were born under or how we were raised, if we act villainous it is only because we have to in order to survive and achieve our dreams.I love Edmund because he knows he's a villain and doesn't make excuses for it, he knows he's being bad and knows he has no one to blame this on but himself. It's so refreshing and makes me like him more than the more righteous brother Edgar who follows this monologue with a prediction from the stars. Edmund seems much more logical and reasonable in this moment; although we will find that Edgar's predictions are accurate which asks the question whether or not then we are supposed to recognize that there are forces in the world that influence us and our actions or dismiss the concept of destiny or fate as ridiculous scapegoats for men looking for something to blame their own failings on. Are Edmund's assumptions of self-autonomy arrogant? I Edgar more wise then to look at the stars for glimpses of the future, to seek for knowledge beyond himself? I'm not sure, and it makes me more interested in the two brothers outcomes.

3 comments:

  1. My friends and I have a saying: "Everyone is the villain in someone else's story."

    When I read stories with complex villains like this, it's hard to see them objectively and not only in comparison to the "good" guys. You're right. Edmund has skills that make him stand out more in the context of the play. He becomes more interesting when the assumptions of "good" and "bad" brother are forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked that monologue of his. It is so true. Why is it that as humans we are always looking for reasons why things happen outside of ourselves. We truly want to blame someone else or some outside force because of how we are, when really, that is how we are choosing to be. I do like that Edmund simply owns up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also just feel kind of bad for him. Whose fault is it that he's a bastard? Not his, that's for sure. Yet all he really laments is that his legitimate brother will get all the power. That's not really fair. And that's all he was really complaining about

    ReplyDelete