Saturday, October 24, 2015

Heaven is My Judge

In looking at famous lines from Othello, I was surprised to find that almost all of the most famous lines are spoken by the villain Iago. Like Edmund from King Lear, he has a lot of great soliloquies that touch on important themes of the play. In Act I he speaks a lot about his hate for Othello and his desire to bring him down while pretending to be loyal. In one famous soliloquy he says:
"Heaven is my judge, not I for love and duty, 
But seeming so, for my peculiar end: 
For when my outward action doth demonstrate 
The native act and figure of my heart 
In compliment extern, 'tis not long after 
But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve 
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am."
This touches on the common themes of identity and loyalty throughout the play. This quote also touches on the idea of divine justice, although in this case it seems to be an excuse for Iago to do whatever he wants and just accept the punishment later. His motivations are very interesting because he doesn't seem to care much about what God or men think about him so long as he gets what he wants. He knows that what he's doing is wrong, but that will never stop him from doing it. As the play goes on, other characters are faced with moral dilemmas but don't respond as unfeelingly as Iago does. Cassio, Othello's lieutenant that Iago frames in his plot against Othello, pleads to God a few times for forgiveness. Unlike Iago, he cares a lot about what both God and men think of him, which interestingly allows Iago to manipulate him. Iago's own messed-up morality and two-faced nature
remain interesting throughout the play, especially in comparison with the moral dilemmas of other characters.

2 comments:

  1. I love Iago's speech that you referenced! It's definitely a theme that pops up in a lot of villainous portrayals well after Shakespeare's time. Honestly, it makes me think of Iago's namesake in Aladdin! The parrot pretends to be dumb (well...) and sympathetic to the Sultan, but he's secretly working for Jafar to bring down the Sultan. He's definitely not what he proclaims to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find his use of heart upon his sleeve interesting. We often just think of that as this semi-positive, vulnerable thing that only the most gentle and sensitive people do. But he's a villain, so that's kind of an odd juxtaposition as to how we usually think of that phrase.

    ReplyDelete