Sunday, November 1, 2015

Much Ado about having to memorize 50 lines on top of writing a paper

Like a few others, I'm performing Act 2, Scene 3 (and 4) from Much Ado About Nothing. I'll play Claudio and Beatrice. We haven't cut our lines down to approximately 50 each, but my lines will be from the following sets:

CLAUDIO
Yea, my good lord. How still the evening is,
As hush'd on purpose to grace harmony!
CLAUDIO
O, very well, my lord: the music ended,
We'll fit the kid-fox with a pennyworth.
CLAUDIO
O, ay: stalk on. stalk on; the fowl sits. I did
never think that lady would have loved any man.
CLAUDIO
Faith, like enough.
CLAUDIO
Bait the hook well; this fish will bite.
CLAUDIO
She did, indeed.
CLAUDIO
He hath ta'en the infection: hold it up.
CLAUDIO
'Tis true, indeed; so your daughter says: 'Shall
I,' says she, 'that have so oft encountered him
with scorn, write to him that I love him?'
CLAUDIO
Now you talk of a sheet of paper, I remember a
pretty jest your daughter told us of.
CLAUDIO
That.
CLAUDIO
Then down upon her knees she falls, weeps, sobs,
beats her heart, tears her hair, prays, curses; 'O
sweet Benedick! God give me patience!'
CLAUDIO
To what end? He would make but a sport of it and
torment the poor lady worse.
CLAUDIO
And she is exceeding wise.

CLAUDIO

Hero thinks surely she will die; for she says she
will die, if he love her not, and she will die, ere
she make her love known, and she will die, if he woo
her, rather than she will bate one breath of her
accustomed crossness.
CLAUDIO
He is a very proper man.
CLAUDIO
Before God! and, in my mind, very wise.
CLAUDIO
And I take him to be valiant.
CLAUDIO
Never tell him, my lord: let her wear it out with
good counsel.

CLAUDIO
If he do not dote on her upon this, I will never
trust my expectation.
BEATRICE
Against my will I am sent to bid you come in to dinner.

BEATRICE

I took no more pains for those thanks than you take
pains to thank me: if it had been painful, I would
not have come.
BEATRICE
Yea, just so much as you may take upon a knife's
point and choke a daw withal. You have no stomach,
signior: fare you well.

1 comment:

  1. This is going to be a lot of fun! I can't wait to see it all put together!

    ReplyDelete