Sunday, November 1, 2015

Don Pedro

I'm also part of the group that is doing Act II scene iii from Much Ado About Nothing, and I'll be playing Don Pedro. He has a lot of short lines scattered throughout the scene, and we'll probably end up cutting some of it. I'm just going to include Don Pedro's lines here.

Don Pedro
Come, shall we hear this music?

See you where Benedick hath hid himself?

Come, Balthasar, we'll hear that song again.

It is a witness still of excellency
To put a strange face on his own perfection
I pray thee, sing, and let me woo no more.

Now, pray thee, come;
Or, if thou wilt hold longer argument,
Do it in notes.

Why, these are very crotchets that he speaks,
Notes, notes, forsooth, and nothing.

By my troth, a good song.

Ha, ha, no, faith; thou singest well for a shrift.

Yea, marry, dost thou hear, Balthasar? I pray thee,
get us some excellent music; for tomorrow night we
would have it at the Lady Hero's chamber window.

Do so: farewell.
Come hither, Leonato. What was it you told me of
to-day, that your niece Beatrice was in love with
Signior Benedick?

May be she doth but counterfeit.

Why, what effects of passion shows she?

How, how, pray you? You amaze me: I would have I
thought her spirit had been invincible against all
assaults of affection.

Hath she made her affection known to Benedick?

It were good that Benedick knew of it by some
other, if she will not discover it.

An he should, it were an alms to hang him. She's an
excellent sweet lady; and, out of all suspicion,
she is virtuous.

In every thing but loving Benedick.

I would she had bestowed this dotage on me: I would
have daffed all other respects and made her half
myself. I pray you, tell Benedick of it, and hear
what a' will say.

She doth well: if she should make tender of her
love, 'tis very possible he'll scorn it; for the
man, as you know all, hath a contemptible spirit.

He hath indeed a good outward happiness.

He doth indeed show some sparks that are like wit.

As Hector, I assure you: and in the managing of
quarrels you may say he is wise; for either he
avoids them with great discretion, or undertakes
them with a most Christian-like fear.

And so will he do; for the man doth fear God,
howsoever it seems not in him by some large jests
he will make. Well I am sorry for your niece. Shall
we go seek Benedick, and tell him of her love?

Well, we will hear further of it by your daughter:
let it cool the while. I love Benedick well; and I
could wish he would modestly examine himself, to see
how much he is unworthy so good a lady.

Let there be the same net spread for her; and that
must your daughter and her gentlewomen carry. The
sport will be, when they hold one an opinion of
another's dotage, and no such matter: that's the
scene that I would see, which will be merely a
dumb-show. Let us send her to call him in to dinner.




2 comments:

  1. I like it! Are you going to use this for your paper at all? It'll be cool to listen to you preform this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be so fun! I loved reading through this and I think that we're going to be able to make this funny and awesome. I can't wait to start practicing.

    ReplyDelete