Tuesday, November 17, 2015

5 Shocking Claims about Modernizing Shakespeare from ThoughtCatalog (presented by Buzzfeed)

I'm aware this is rough-- I'm still trying to narrow down my topic but I think this exercise helped me do that a little bit!

  1. Causal: Because Shakespeare's social commentary on Elizabethan England, as found in his plays, is valued centuries after its original performances, it have inspired several generations to adapt his works to reflect the modern day while still using them as a vehicle to comment on current social issues.
  2. Policy: Although Shakespeare's plays remains culturally relevant in their original forms, adapting the original texts to reflect current culture should be encouraged because provides new ways for the same universal themes to reach a new generational audience.
  3. Definition: Adapting Shakespeare's plays pays homage to the playwright who borrowed storylines from classical works.
  4. Evaluation: Altering Shakespeare's works to fit the eras it is adapted in is equally valuable as the original texts because it provides new opportunities to mirror the values of the current society and critique social issues (as Shakespeare's works did with Elizabethan England).
  5. Comparison: Shakespeare's plays have been adapted generation after generation, from West Side Story to She's the Man, with updated plot points and language to reflect the era. 21st century adaptations of Shakespeare that translate the text into modern terms include our changing, growing millennial vocabulary; that is similar to Shakespeare's invention and inclusion of many then-new words and phrases.

3 comments:

  1. Erin, I love your comparison claim. Especially with the new project in Portland to update the language of Shakespeare's plays, I think we instinctively recoil from the concept of modernizing Shakespeare so it continues to reach its intended audience: the layman. Comparing the fast-developing millennial register to Shakespeare's experiments with language is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think this is a relevant and interesting topic! I like the policy claim the best because it gets the idea across concisely and clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think 2 and 4 are my favorites. They both sound like concise and fascinating topics, I would read those papers! :)

    ReplyDelete