Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Many Theses

This is the general direction I am taking my paper at the moment, but I have more research to do on this literary tradition. Any instances that you've spotted would be incredibly helpful.


Thesis Types:

1. {policy}

The English landscape and pastoral life should be looked at through a different scope than Shakespeare’s plays because his version is a romanticized and unrealistic representation.

2. {definition}

The characters in Shakespeare’s plays, in particular his comedies, are understood through his use of setting to display personality traits and societal norms.

3. {evaluation}

Shakespeare’s display of the romantic English countryside is a better way to understand the literary tradition of idealizing pastoral life than that of his contemporaries and the poetry of author’s that followed him.

4. {causal}

Much of modern realism and regionalism in American literature was indirectly inspired by the representation of characters in Shakespeare’s romantic countryside.

5. {comparison}


Many readers find Shakespeare’s portrayal of pastoral and country settings to be beautiful and idealistic, but in reality they were romanticized and trumped up versions used to further the plot of the play without going into great detail about the characters themselves. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by your definition thesis, but it feels a little broad. Are you going to be focusing on one comedy, or one set of personality traits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely want to focus in on something in particular, but I haven't done enough research into it to figure out what I want yet. I'm thinking casual attitude and the fun-loving nature of those settings may play into this.

      Delete
  2. Causal. Wow. I want to read that right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you! It's maybe a stretch, but I want to dig into it and persuade people that there is indeed a link.

      Delete
  3. I think 2, 4, and 5 are your best options, but I don't know if I could pick just one... I would read any of those three papers, though. Especially 2 and 5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the comments above are really good and your claims are really well thought out! In answer to instances that I have found in my own readings, is the use of the storm and music in the Tempest. Shakespeare would use the storm, and strange noises on the island to depict a romanticized version of chaos and then he would use music on the island as a harmonizer and restorer of order. The use of natural elements and music is tied directly to the land in a quote (Act 3, scene 2) by Caliban who says that the island is full of the strange noises. It is a good play to look at to see how Shakespeare uses land as a device instead of accurately depicting natural occurrences and landscapes. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete