Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Bibliography

Annotated Bibliography
The focus of my research project will center on Mormon doctrine and the plays of Shakespeare. I think I will end up focusing my research on Measure of Measure and A WInter’s Tale. I think there is a lot of potential for discussion with these two plays. Shakespeare confronts many different constructs of morality, including redemption, atonement, chastity, virtue, honesty, and justice. I will only pick a few of these doctrines to focus on, but I will use Mormon doctrine as a lense to read Shakespeare.
Here are a few of the general sources I found for my project:

Source One: #measureformeasure #shakespeare #awinterstale #shakespearesunday (On Facebook)
Each of these hashtags bring up something a little different, but they provide a huge resource of information about Shakespeare and his plays. Each tag provides quotes, videos, websides, excerpts, and opinions about each topic. It is good as a general guide because people pull information and thought from all over the internet, and you can add to the conversation by posting your own hashtag. You can find these hashtags by going on Facebook and typing in #_______ into the source bar. There are different tags for each of the plays, so you should try each of your plays! This has been helpful in my thinking because I was able to see some of my friends who used the hashtags, and so I can talk to them about their thoughts about the plays and Mormon doctrine. I was also able to find some helpful websites that are about Shakespeare.
Source Five: Crystal, David, and Ben Crystal. Oxford Illustrated Shakespeare Dictionary. 2015. Print.
This book has definitions for many of the confusing words that Shakespeare created, and provides a lot of additional information behind the words. I found this book in the library. This book changed my perspective because there are many words in Shakespeare’s plays that mean different things now, and so it is easy to be misled by them. I think it could be really interesting to use the meanings of different words like “atone” or “Christ.”
This source is a compilation of all things Shakespeare. There is a Shakespeare quote of the day, different articles about themes in the plays, articles about Shakespeare’s life, sonnets, analysis, biographies, key dates, and a ton more.  I found this when I was looking for a children’s guide of Shakespeare. As I was looking for the children’s guide, I stumbled upon this instead. This is helping me develop my thoughts because there is a huge database of knowledge in this website, and looking up something like “virtue” or “Jesus” yields many results. The articles about the culture are also helpful because they help me understand more of the cultural context behind the morality of Shakespeare’s day.
Source Three: Cousins, A. D. The Shakespeare Encyclopedia: The Complete Guide to the Man and His Works. Buffalo, NY.: Firefly, 2009. Print.
As it says in the title, this is a very helpful reference to the life of Shakespeare as well as his works. It includes summaries of most of his plays as well as important quotations from each character. It also has short articles on more general topics like Shakespeare in media and why Shakespeare has endured for so long. I found this book by looking around the library bookshelves. It helped develop my thinking because it helped draw out some of the most important quotes about virtue in Measure for Measure, and it helped me pinpoint a few other plays that I could focus my analysis on.
Source Four: Campbell, Oscar James. The Reader’s Encyclopedia of Shakespeare. New York: Crowell, 1966. Print.
This is a very helpful source that is full of different facts. It has everything from names of people who have analyzed Shakespeare to people who were alive at the time that Shakespeare wrote his plays. The most helpful think is the selected criticism on each play from Shakespeare. I found this book in one of the Shakespeare sections of the library. I think the criticism is the most helpful to me because it helps me understand what is already going on in the conversation rather than having to sift through mounds of different papers on each play.

3 comments:

  1. Source 3 sounds really interesting, I feel like I might take a look at that one myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should! They are all very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should! They are all very helpful!

    ReplyDelete