Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Annotated Bibliography


I actually really enjoyed looking for these sources, especially the ones that required me to venture into the library to look a physical books, it's something I haven't done in a while (research-wise, anyway). But I really like all of the sources listed below and they are just getting me more and more excited for my paper!

Boyce, Charles, and David Allen White. Shakespeare A to Z: The Essential Reference to His Plays, His Poems, His Life and Times, and More. New York: Facts on File, 1990. Print.

              This is one of the ‘brazen serpents’ mentioned by Professor Burton and I actually walked myself to the library to look at it and was very pleased with what I found. It is exactly what the title says, an alphabetical compilation of all things Shakespeare related. I think a lot of the material it had on Henry V – discussion of his character, his kingship, his influence, and more. It had a bit of a discussion of his relationship with God, at least as it is visible in the play, which could fit in with a discussion on divine right.

"Henry V - Oxford Reference." Henry V - Oxford Reference. Oxford, n.d. Web. 04 Nov. 2015. <http://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780198117353.001.0001/acref-9780198117353-e-1346?rskey=sYoyTN&result=1360>.

              This link I found in searching the Shakespeare Reference link that Professor Burton has recommended all semester. It contains summaries, plot reviews,etc., for the play. Under ‘Henry V,’ I found an interesting discussion about the links between Shakespeare’s Henry, and the actual King Henry, which is key to my discussion. If I am examining how Shakespeare feels about kings, especially as seen through Henry V’s character, it would be important to know how close the character is to his namesake.

Kay, Dennis. William Shakespeare: His Life and times. New York: Twayne, 1995. Web. 04 Nov. 2015. <http://go.galegroup.com/ps/retrieve.do?isETOC=true&inPS=true&prodId=GVRL&userGroupName=byuprovo&resultListType=RELATED_DOCUMENT&searchType=BasicSearchForm&contentSegment=&docId=GALE|CX1591000018>.

              This source I found, also through the link provided by Professor Burton on the blog. I found it on online, the whole book was available without charge. It is a source which I am less sure of using in my paper, but which I still found interesting. I guess it depends on the final direction I take my paper in. It includes, then, some insight into Elizabethan England and her (the queen’s) role and some of the effect that this and the time period may have had on the bard himself, let alone Henry V. So that would be interesting to explore.

O'Connor, Evangeline M. Who's Who and What's What in Shakespeare: Giving References by Topics to Notable Passages and Significant Expressions, Brief Histories of the Plays, Geographical Names and Historical Incidents, Mention of All Characters and Sketches of Important Ones, Together with Explanations of Allusions and Obscure and Obsolete Words and Phrases. New York: Avenel, 1978. Print.

              This book was one that I found in the reference section of the library, along with the first source mentioned above. Like the first source, it was alphabetically organized, and I searched a few different topics. There was not a large section on Henry V, but I included it because it seemed to be a very interesting story and it had some discussion of Shakespeare and his disposition to the very character that he had created.

Norwich, John Julius. Shakespeare's Kings. London: Simon and Schuster, 1999. Print.


This source I am especially excited for. It is a book that Rosemary lent me and, as the title suggests, it is all about the different Shakespearean kings – which is exactly what my paper is all about! The whole books sounds interesting, but I won’t be able (obviously) to use it all, so I need to go through and get the best out of it. But I think it has a lot potential and I will certainly be using it on the paper!

3 comments:

  1. How are you going to focus your research on Kings? Is there a play you want to focus on. I feel like there's SO MANY KINGS in Shakespeare, so I could see it being a little difficult to focus on all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, my focus is almost entirely on Henry V. I'm just trying to decide how much I want to compare him to other kings :)

      Delete
  2. I like your approach of focusing on Henry V, but researching other kings in Shakespeare's plays in order to see how he's portrayed them and their histories (and what that may tell you about the way he interpreted Henry V!).

    ReplyDelete