Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Love's Labour's Lost, Realistic Ending Found

So I've been trying to decide what angle to take with my paper on Love's Labour's Lost. Since class last week, I decided I want to write something that I can really have fun with. I don't want to write a paper just to write a paper, especially if this paper is going to be saved in an archive for all eternity. I might need some help in direction if my fellow classmates (and teacher) would bee so kind to throw me some input.

From beginning to almost the end, Love's Labour's Lost is has got all of the ingredient necessary to cook the perfect Shakespearian comedy. It's got the silly situations, the love stories, the mix-up, the disguises, bake four five acts until fluffy . . . or not. Reach the end of the play and instead of a happily ever after, there is death, there is depression, and the women leaving the guys and heading back to France.

While sitting in class last week, I got thinking, why did Shakespeare end his play this way? Maybe he was just having a bad day. Or maybe he wanted to show how the story would end in reality. Then I got thinking more, what if more of our favorite stories ended realistically. To show what I mean, I'd like to quote from my little sister:

"Take "You've Got Mail" the perfectly adorable movie about two people who fall in love through e-mail.  Ah, it's impossible to hate this cute rom-com featuring the charming Tom Hanks and quirky Meg Ryan.  But wait.  Let's really analyze what would have happened if Kathleen Kelly hadn't taken so kindly to finding out Joe Fox was her romantic pen pal.

Joe rounds the corner of the park.  Kathleen sees him and realizes that he is the man who wrote her the adorable letters.
Joe: "Don't cry ShopGirl"
Kathleen: "Wait - so you have known that I have been ShopGirl for like a few months and you've not only continued writing me but also decided to trick me into dating the real you on the side?  Oh yea and you also put me out of business."
Joe: "Uh yea but remember how I'm sweet and I brought flowers to you when you were sick?"
Kathleen: "You mean when you 'heard' I was sick, found out where I lived and when I wouldn't let you in snuck up to my apartment and forced your way in.  Oh yea real sweet."
You see how that can be seen as just a little creepy?  It's not only in movies folks.  It's everywhere.  You never know if what you are going to do in the name of love is going to come off as completely romantic or like you're the vampire who watches them sleep (which for some reason is also romantic?  I'm lost)."

My sister was not thinking about Shakespeare when she posted this on her blog, http://toastphenomenon.blogspot.com/, but the idea works. Many times we confuse fiction and reality to satisfy our need for happy endings. Love's Labour's Lost choses to ignore the happily ever after rule and show what really happened. Somehow I would like to turn this idea into a paper. I'd like to look at other famous movies, stories, books, novels, etc. that have happy endings and show how they could have ended like Loves Labour's Lost. If anyone has any ideas on how to turn this into a strong acedemic paper and not just and experiment on endings, I'd love the help.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry this got posted so late. I know none of you will have time to read it before class and I'll do better next time. I've just got to get used to this whole blogging thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was very entertaining :). This idea is interesting to me because I've been thinking about why Twelfth Night, a comedy, doesn't end perfectly either. The fool closes the play with a somber song. The reason in this case could be the historical context of when the play was performed - at the close of Christmas season. Maybe you could look for historical context that would affect why Shakespeare would include this ending in this play? Or maybe you could explore other plays like Twelfth Night and make an argument about way Shakespeare's endings don't always match the genre he's working in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sarah. I appreciate the help. I'll try looking into those ideas. Good luck on your paper.

    ReplyDelete