Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halstaff

For my part in researching Shakespeare in ways that interest me, I have read Henry IV, Part 1 and looked at relationships between some of the major characters, most often Prince Henry (a.k.a. Hal) and Falstaff. Out of my original three ideas for a paper, I completely scrapped the first one because I felt it wasn't very original and wouldn't be interesting. As of right now, I'm thinking of maybe doing a mix of my context and critical engagement 'protopapers', but I admit I'm unfortunately running into a mild amount of trouble with settling on a thesis. Maybe I'm being too picky.

I do have good substance though! I have researched what has been said before about Prince Hal's tavern life, his life with Falstaff and company. I have also read some about the actual history of Prince Hal before his father deposed King Richard II. It turns out that Prince Hal was a bit of a ransom when Henry Bolingbroke (future Henry IV) was exiled by Richard II. This was to ensure that Bolingbroke would be on good behavior. Even more interesting was the account that Hal may have even seen Richard II as a godfather of sorts.

One chronicle gave an account of Henry (future prince Hal) when his father returned to England. Young Henry was told by his father he needed to leave the king to wait on his father instead. Henry was saddened to leave, this is supplemented by other records which suggest that he was very loyal to King Richard II. With these things in mind, I'm currently thinking I'm going to look at Henry's tavern/rebellion days with Falstaff and show that they were a way to somewhat passively disapprove of his father's usurpation of the crown.

Is Prince Hal thinking that he wishes Richard II was still around?

2 comments:

  1. This is very interesting. I like a good rebel! I think you are definitely on to something. A thesis is always a pain to develop but I think it is right under your nose in your last paragraph here. Just take that last sentence and tighten it up a little bit and I think you'd have an awesome thesis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of rebels, you might look a little into Hotspur (from Henry IV part 1 of course) in your study of villains. I say his name along with villains, which I admittedly hesitate to do, but the fact that he's hasty and passionate about everything he does might be of use for you. I can try to pull out more for you if you're curious or want more potential substance.

      Delete