Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Annotated Bibliography: the hypocrisy of Henry V's character

The Hypocrisy of Henry V
“His hypocrisy… must be more the result of calculation than simple charisma, more diligence than luck, and this is what makes Shakespeare’s King Henry such a capable king.”

Bibliography:
Bates, Jennifer Ann. Hegel and Shakespeare on Moral Imagination. Albany: State U of New York, 2010. Print.
         This is a really interesting discussion of morality and its mutability, especially (in Shakespeare) for kings. So this will be an interesting discussion of the effect of Henry’s station on his morality, which I am hoping to tie in.
Bloom, Harold, and Albert Rolls. Henry V. New York: Bloom's Literary Criticism, 2010. Print.
         This book is one I am really excited about, it is devoted to Shakespeare’s Henry V and has an in-depth discussion on the hypocritical nature of Henry’s kingship. I will definitely be using this source to demonstrate said hypocrisy and I also think it will support my own argument in many ways.
Boyce, Charles. Critical Companion to William Shakespeare: A Literary Reference to His Life and Work. New York: Facts on File, 2005. Print.
         This book had a fascinating and in depth discussion of Henry and compared two different views of his character – one of him as the ideal king, and on of him as the hypocritical military king. This is exactly what I’m focusing on, so this well be perfect for my paper, and has a lot of material I can work with. It also uses many of the same examples from the text as I plan on using, so it will help support my argument.
Clark, Sandra. Hutchinson Shakespeare Dictionary: An A-Z Guide to Shakespeare's Plays, Characters, and Contemporaries. London: Hutchinson, 1986. Print.
         This source really focuses on the historical figure of Henry V, which is necessary to look at for my paper. Shakespeare did take some liberties with his play, so I need to check my facts against history. Though I am using Shakespeare as the lens with which to analyze Henry V, I want it to fit with the “real” Henry just as much.
Davis, J. Madison., and A. Daniel. Frankforter. The Shakespeare Name Dictionary. New York: Garland, 1995. Print.
         This source was a really interesting one, as it looks at both Shakespeare’s Henry and the historical Henry. It also discusses the young Prince Hal’s transition to kingship and power, which is something that is crucial to my paper. I definitely will have a use for this source.
"Henry's Hypocrisy: Terrorism and Tyranny." The Creatively Maladjusted. N.p., 16 Dec. 2012. Web. 02 Dec. 2015. <https://judgian12365.wordpress.com/2012/12/16/henrys-hypocrisy-terrorism-and-tyranny/>.

         This is a less academic source, but I took Professor Burton’s advice and was exploring a little bit for less conventional sources and found this blog. It has a slightly similar premise to my paper but takes it to an extreme. I am not sure if I am going to use it yet, but if I did it would be to refute it.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't pick up on a lot of hypocrisy while reading Henry V a few years ago, so your paper sounds cool! I'm intrigued to see how the real Henry V compares to his Shakespearean character.

    ReplyDelete